Template - please customise heavily to make it your own
To: Name and Address
I am writing regarding serious concerns surrounding the State Government’s SkyRail method of Level Crossing Removal which is being rolled out without genuine community consultation and with no Environmental Impact Statement.
As a member of the (insert your suburb) community I am strongly opposed to the a “SkyRail” method of level crossing removal along the (insert your train line) corridor.
My concerns about “SkyRail” include:
Please don’t allow our suburbs be destroyed by SkyRail, a horrible legacy that will change the physical environment of Melbourne which has been voted the most liveable city in the world.
- The detrimental effect it would have on the physical environment of our beautiful suburbs:
- Ugly concrete structures in residential areas which will quickly be covered in graffiti;
- Lack of vegetation growing under the rail due to the absence of light and rainfall;
- Complete domination of infrastructure and blocking out of our skyline.;
- Destruction of our beachside amenity and our beautiful bayside vista (for lines closer to the coast);
- Creation of dark and unsafe spaces, a magnet for graffiti, crime and litter;
- Noise pollution from the trains, both electric and diesel which will no longer be sunk and buffered by houses, vegetation and walls of dirt;
- The detrimental effect on health caused by noise and diesel fumes (a Word Health Organisation declared carcinogenic);
- The significant negative impact on property prices especially loss of privacy and overshadowing by SkyRail;
- The future burden on Council budgets and ratepayers to maintain hard to use linear parks beneath skyrail;
- Alternatives such as Road/Rail under are available – such as Springvale, Bentleigh, Ormond and McKinnon already completed or under construction;
- Water table justification being used by the Level Crossing Removal Authority (an administrative office of the State Government) for SkyRail is a denial of viable engineering solutions which can address water table issues.
Mr Andrews, our community wants skylines, not SkyRail.